Author: Lala
•Monday, July 25, 2011
Our Norfolk Beach trip (June 11-13) was a big thing for several reasons. One, it was our first three-day family trip away from any relative. Two, it was more than 6-hour total travel to our destination (4-hour train travel, 3 buses and more than 2 hours of travel by bus) plus layovers. Three, we had two 9-month old babies that were close to 16-lbs each - thus carrying them around could be a challenge. Four, we packed baby supplies for three days and packed for four people - meaning big luggage. But for family fun and togetherness, we thought it was worth a shot.

We woke up early, around 5am on Saturday, fed the babies and took an hour bus ride to the Alexandria Amtrak station. The train ride was fun and way more comfortable than driving a car. Mikelle and Rianne had so much fun in the cafe car were they could crawl, stand, play, and watch kids and the scenery outside. They had fun being able to go walk around with dad and crawl on the floor. I am glad we had a four-seater and enjoyed the space we all needed for feeding and changing our girls. Our babies were able to stick close to their feeding and napping schedules which made everybody happy. After taking two more buses we made it to our hotel at around 3 pm. We were amazed by how patient and happy our babies were during the whole trip! They were very entertained by a lot of things and did not have any crying episodes. I was so tired and we all took a nap after checking in our hotel. Then, after we fed our babies when they woke up, we then headed to the beach, which was just 20 meters away from our doorstep.

Everything was new to Mikelle and Rianne, and they were both very scared of the waves and the sand. We sat by the shore where the waves could hit us to help them get used to the water but it was not a success. They were more comfortable when Carl took them father out since the calmer water reminded them probably of pool water which they are used to.

I was frustrated to find our that I forgot to pack Mikelle's swimsuit I hanged to dry the night I packed. I felt bad that she had to go swimming in her onesie. I found a dollar store when I went out to find some food and bought two matching blue swimsuits for one dollar each. I thought it was a success.

Our first night was pretty stressful. The hotel did not have any cribs available for the babies and since they are both really good sleepers at night we thought they would do fine sleeping on the floor of the hotel - we were wrong. Mikelle slept pretty good for part of the time but Rianne woke up every 20-30 minutes, would sit up and cry that I have to hold her and put her back down. I ended up lying with them on the floor and was not able to get some sleep until Carl took over at around 4 a.m. I was in terrible shape the next morning. My head hurt and I could not think straight. Carl took the girls to the beach in the morning while I slept till a little after 8a.m.I felt a lot better when I joined them later.  Our second night, everyone slept like the dead all night.

On our last day, we decided to take our babies to their first zoo adventure at Virginia Zoological Park. It was a great idea to rent a cart for the babies. We took them out to see the animals and they enjoyed some of it. I think they mostly enjoyed looking at the young kids who were on a field trip that day. It was cute to see their amazement and curiosity. They got to see the prairie dogs up close, and it was fun to see baby and prairie dog staring at each other. They did really good, there was no complaining and crying. They fell asleep on our way to the train station. It was around 11p.m. when we got home. We were so tired but the trip was definitely worth it. It was a bit stressful but absolutely fun! We are looking forward to our next trip, to the Philippines probably.
 Waiting for bus on our way to the train station.
Mikelle and Dad
Our girls loved that they could play in the cafeteria while on the train.
 Mikelle admiring the sceneries.
 Our first day on the beach. It was a beautiful day!! Mikelle wearing her onesie because I forgot to bring her swimsuit.
 Dad playing with Mikelle so she would not be too scared of the wave, water and the sand.
 Rianne and Dad.
 Our girls liked the quilt Grandma Ellen gave us for Christmas.

 Rianne telling us how excited she was.
 Mikelle got really sick. This picture did not do justice how bad she was that day. Her eyes were swollen and very watery. Her nose was very stuffy and face was very red. I thought for a while she had really bad sunburn but then it went away the following day.
They were both scared of the sand and did not like it when we had them sit on it for some picture taking.
 They finally felt a little better after some encouragement and playing. We were able to take these cute pictures below.
 and Rianne.
Our girls talking about how tasty the sand was.
 At Virginia Zoological Park 

 Our girls enjoyed their first zoo trip.
 On our way to catch the bus from the zoo. Our girls were both tired and sleepy.
 On our way home.

This entry was posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.


On July 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Melinda said...

Sounds like a successful trip, despite the rough patches. I love those blue swimsuits! What a deal coming from the dollar store. Way to go.

On July 29, 2011 at 4:18 AM , Jenny said...

My favorite is the one where the girls are watching the ocean in their little sundresses. It looks like they are casually chatting. So cute! I bet you made those dresses- I love them!

On August 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Rebecca said...

I love the pictures of the girls in their dresses! So adorable. I'm so impressed with how much you get around, given the two little energy machines you have with you! Way to go!